Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Library Research :)

Heading to the library last Monday was helpful in many ways. I learned many things that will help me find sources for my issues paper. I think the most useful thing i learned was the tools and resources that they gave us. I learned where to find websites that had useful information and books on my topic. I also learned that our class(WRTG 150) had its own website with other useful information. Another thing I learned is that we can't use a encyclopedia as a source. I knew that we couldn't use wikipedia as a source because its a public encyclopedia but I had no idea that a real encyclopedia couldn't be used. They also taught us how to find books at the library and how to find out where they are in the library. They also taught us how to get help at the library and online.

I think this visit to the library mainly helped me find tools and resources to use in my paper, but Im still pretty confused on how to find useful sources. They gave us the tool, and how to search for documents and books, but didn't give us enough help on how to narrow it down. I could search my topic and find thousands of books but obviously i don't have enough time to read through them all. Im still confused on how to find the right books and sources and how to skim and find the specific parts i need for my paper. In other words, Im still confused how to effectively find good sources. I feel that i have the tools.... great... but now i need to know better how to use those tools to find the specific quotes i need for my paper. Overall, it was useful because now i know where to find researching tools.

4 comments:

  1. So, you're doing ridiculous laws, right? I would say that in order to find specific sources that will be useful to you, try to narrow your topic a little bit more. Maybe look at specific kinds of laws. I think you'll be able to find better sources then. Hopefully that helps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think now that we have learned about the tools we need to use to get started on our research, that the rest will come easier. I agree with Sam, once you try to narrow down and really specify your topic and what you are researching to find then it will become easier to find good information. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like I have the opposite problem, instead of getting too many results that I don't know which ones to use, I can't seem to find enough sources. Maybe we can mix our topics together and get the right amount of sources... : P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya I agree it is way nice to know where to find good websites. I don't think I would have used the library at all in my research if we hadn't gone. I will now that I know using what they taught us will make things a whole lot easier.

    ReplyDelete