Thursday, February 2, 2012

Blog # 3 (kind of late... sorry)

I picked Dear Students: Don’t Let College Unplug Your Future-Gideon Burton


Intent 1.  The author intent is to show that college is becoming increasing less important as new technology comes. He is trying to show how technology, through blogs, twitter, Facebook, online portfolios, etc, are having a bigger effect on resumes then having a college degree. He as well is proving that colleges are behind in technology improvements that are becoming more important in todays world. Interesting side-point, I heard and he talked a little about this, that technology is advancing so fast that by the time we graduate, the information we have learned is outdated by 2 years.


Tools 2. He uses many different tools to improve his paper. He uses ethos by being a professor. As a professor he knows and has seen how universities work and how efficiently they work. Because he is a professor, he can clearly have a stance on the subject. I also thought he related well with his Audience. He use a vocabulary and style that could relate well with students(his audience). 


Audience Reaction 3. I agree with many parts of his paper. It made me want to use technology more to improve my resume and future opportunities. I thought, "I need to get a blog! or else I'm missing out". He made me feel college is less important. So for the most part, I agree with him, but obviously, in this world, no one will accept someone for a blog over a diploma. I can see how technology can help, and increase your chances for success, but overall, a diploma is more important even if its just a paper, and if your education is outdated. 

2 comments:

  1. I kind of like how this article seems to have been completely contradictory to the other one's. All the other ones just seemed to diminish technology and the internet, and you did a good job of clarifying why there are important aspects of it. But I also like how you included your personal opinion, which I completely agreed with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your reaction, that is kind of how I responded as well. I think that technology can definitely help increase how successful you are and can be a useful tool, however I don't think that it could ever become more valuable than an actual diploma.

    ReplyDelete